- Over 300 certificated staff members
- Over 3,400 students with quality educational opportunities.
- More than half of our teachers have attained their Masters Degree
- All teachers are required to engage in ongoing professional development and on-site training in technology and academics.
- Our district is designated as a Continuous Improvement district; Sandusky High, Hancock Elementary, and Ontario Elementary, have achieved Effective ratings through the State Department of Education.
- Our curriculum is aligned with state content standards.
- Our Career Tech and Adult Education program is second to none in the state.
- Sandusky City Schools utilizes the most current computer technology to assist students and teachers in the classroom, employing Smart Boards, iPads, Laptops, computer labs, and much more.
- Our fine arts programs provide excellent opportunities for our diverse student population.
You will be amazed by the creative abilities of our talented students. We are proud of our students and the rich tradition of excellence that is part of our school district. Community members and guests are encouraged to visit our schools and get involved. You will be pleased with all of the positive experiences that take place daily in our schools and well as the discipline, the rigor of our academic program PreK-12, and the dedication of our employees.
ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS (K-6) & MIDDLE SCHOOL (7-8)
- Five elementary schools and one middle school
- 260 teachers serve our students.
- After School Activity Program to K-6 students
- Orchestra beginning in the sixth grade
- Computer instruction beginning in Kindergarten
- Individual Career Planning activities starting in the 7th grade
- All-day every-day Kindergarten
- Parenting classes from counselors
- Preschool Handicapped classes
- Title 1 Reading Interventions
- Peer Tutoring and Mediation
- Research-Based Reading instruction grades K-6
- Reading instruction at the middle school level
- Accelerated Reader programs in grades 2-8
- Literacy coach K-12 and a math coach K-12
- Emphasis on data-driven help for all students
- Special Education services
- Computer labs in all schools, including mobile labs
- Quarterly reading and math assessments
- Web-based parent and student access to grades through Progress Book online reporting
Our elementary and middle schools support our students through guidance services. Technology is an important feature of our school district. Presently, every Preschool through 12th grade class and Special Education class is equipped with an Interactive SMART Board. All buildings have up-to-date computer labs and classroom computers. Our teachers have been trained to integrate technology into classroom lessons. As you can see, Sandusky City Schools coordinates a well designed program which focuses growing each child and advancing all students toward their goals.
THE REGIONAL CENTER FOR ADVANCED ACADEMIC STUDIES (RCAAS)
The purpose of Sandusky City Schools Regional Center for Advanced Academic Studies is to provide a world class education to identified gifted students through innovative curriculum and instructional models designed to meet the individual needs of each student. Our goal is to grow students’ academic potential to their fullest, foster collaborative relationships between students, families, staff, and our community, and to explore services and options to further students’ reach in a global era.
Students will have:
- Integrated instruction in the four core areas: Math, Science/Technology, English and Humanities.
- On-grade level instruction for non-identified areas.
- Access to fine arts including: art, music, physical education, computers and Orchestra (6th grade).
- Affective development with guidance staff.
Children must be qualified as gifted, according to Ohio’s State Standards, in Superior Cognitive and/or Reading and/or Math. Per Ohio law incoming test scores must be less than 24 months old at time of application. Opportunities for possible identification will be provided throughout the year for services the following year.
SANDUSKY HIGH SCHOOL (9-12)
Sandusky High School is one of the largest comprehensive high schools in the State of Ohio under one continuous roof. Our high school offers 13 vocational programs and is proud to partner with BGSU Firelands College and Terra Tech to offer our Vocational/Technical students the opportunity to earn college credits while enrolled in one of our Tech Prep programs.
We have 8 Advanced Placement classes and continue to add classes and programs to the high school curriculum to challenge our students.
Our focus on STEAM (Science-Technology-Engineering-Arts-Mathematics) prepares our students to be career and college ready upon graduation, ensuring their success in their chosen field. Our Internships for the Global Experience, provides an opportunity for students to work for high school credit and gain valuable experience on a global level.
A few of the programs we offer include:
- Summer Enrichment programs
- Interactive Science programs
- Individual Career Planning
- A senior Global Internship Program
We support our students with a full guidance department and administrative staff. Our math and science departments are fully-equipped with interactive “Smart Boards” and projectors and all teachers are trained to integrate this technology into daily classroom work with students. Our social studies department takes pride in its innovative use of technology-based instruction to extend writing skills into the social studies content area. Each year, Sandusky High School students are awarded grants and scholarships from fine educational institutions and organizations, evidence of our students’ academic accomplishments.
We welcome the community to visit and see the exciting happenings at SHS. Call 419-984-1068 for more information.
ATHLETICS & ACTIVITIES
We are proud of our athletes and have 15 extracurricular sports programs for them to choose from: baseball, basketball, cheerleading, cross country, football, golf, gymnastics, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, track & field, volleyball and wrestling. Under the direction of our Elementary Athletic Director, students can start in first grade learning the basics and fundamentals of a particular sport.
We are proud that our Basketball Team won the District II Championship and our coach, Colin Irish, was awarded Division II Ohio Basketball Coaches Association, Ohio Coach of the Year! Our swim team won the Northwest Ohio Division II District title, and our coach Tommy Patterson was awarded Northwest District, Division II Swimming and Diving Coach of the Year. In addition to our extensive sports program, we have a number of intramural programs, Swan Club, Ski Club and Bowling Club.
We also are proud of our comprehensive, award winning orchestra, band, and choir programs. Our art programs throughout the district are exemplary and we are now in Phase I of our Great Lakes Visual and Performing Arts Academy which will provide our students with a variety of relevant arts opportunities to enhance their individual talents. There are many outlets for our vast array of student interests and needs at Sandusky City Schools.
The State of Ohio recognizes our PK-12 Special Education Program of offerings, including an alternative school for youngsters with unique and special needs. We have over 50 teachers to work with the 800+ students we serve. Needs range from speech and language issues to cognitive disabilities, to behavioral and emotional disabilities. For more info call 419-984-1051.
SANDUSKY CAREER CENTER
If you are an adult seeking a career change or enhancement, consider taking continuing education classes with our adult education programs. Sandusky City Schools offers a variety of certificated short and long term programs in; medical, industrial, office and computer programs. Need to work on your GED or basic skills, we offer free classes. Call 419-984-1100 for more info on our adult programs, or visit us on the web at: http://www.sanduskycareercenter.org/.
AWARD WINNING PROGRAMS
- Our Preschool program has achieved a 5-star rating-the highest rating a preschool can earn from the Ohio Department of Education.
- Food Services has been annually awarded for their excellence annually.
- Sandusky LPN School has been ranked as the third best in the state of Ohio with a 100% pass rate for the required test for being licensed as a practical nurse.